View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFork View Post
Underquilts are certainly the way to go. I don't hammock camp, but my brother does. He has a hammock gear underquilt that is great. My understanding is that they are not sized to specific hammocks, but they are made in different sizes. If you don't have full coverage, or choose a 3/4 length, then you can just cut the GG sleeplite down and place it under your feet. If your pack is small, you can use that for a pillow. Things like that help cut weight down and make gear more versatile.
Hey RFork,

Multi use gear is the best! Before I switched to a Big Agnes manual inflate sleeping pad, I did something very similar using a 3/4 length thermarest self-inflate sleeping pad and a CCF "sit pad" under my feet.

You are correct in your understanding that UQs are not sized to a specific model, but some models are better suited than others. "Full length" can be deceiving since single size hammocks are made in lengths from 8' to 12' by the various manufacturers out there right now. They vary even more in width Most do average in the 9'-10' length range, but a 3/4 underquilt purchased for a 12' hammock could be rather disastrous.

I think the 3/4 UQ will be the way I go when I do drop the money for one. Besides wanting to ensure hammocking is for me, I want to wait for a few more products to hit the market. Right now almost all the UQs available are cottage industry produced with premium down. I've always been reluctant to buy down bags. I suspect by the time I am ready to commit to an underquilt there will be some good lightweight synthetic options. I'm too hard on my equipment to worry about the special requirements of down. I know a lot of people extoll the virtues of keeping a well cared for $400 WM bag or $250 JRB underquilt for 10 years and saving money in the long run.. I'm just not that guy. For instance, I have owned 4 different tents in the last 8 years (and now I am trying out hammocks!). I currently own 3 nice synthetic sleeping bags in different temperature ratings and through smart shopping haven't paid more than $80 for any one of them.

-Matt-