View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Thank you Joe & Byron!

My chapter (kennebec) in Maine has been enormously successful over the years, two Golden Trout Awards for what they're worth.... but I won't bother you all with the "list" of monumental achievements.

Unfortunately my chapter did not have a banquet this year..... my guess is lack of participation from the younger guys; a great many of us 50 + guys have old. cold bones and have moved south.

For twenty five years or so the Kennebec Chapter has been largely comprised of "The Greatest Generation" & "the Boomers"; we are getting old, tired and BURNED OUT. I believe this is the case everywhere even though many chapters have sought to "recruit" members by teaching younger kids to fly fish which has been a BIG thing up in Maine.

I started in my 20's and I'm 53; when I joined up I was considered a kid in the group but I jumped in head first and sorta became the Chapter "lawyer" when it came to hydro issues and FERC RE-LICENSING... I needed a lot of money and was fortunate that the older guys believed in the mission and worked their tails off to raise the money and the awareness in our Community.

I was part of a great grass-roots effort that achieved great results but I fear those born after the Boomers largely expect WE will live forever and continue the battle.... Personally I got burned out in 2000 for the most part; too many years spent researching documents, typing documents, filing documents and long lonely nights etc. Fortunate I met my wife AFTER "retiring"; I certainly didn't have time for a wife while I was battling for the Kennebec River's future.

So JOE... I got a piece of WOOD for you; Byron can explain.

You young fellows must understand that it is NOW your turn to step up to the plate... the old guys who won what you enjoy deserve to have their effort honored with YOUR effort.

Ain't nothin free. SO... OFF MY FREAKING SOAP BOX AND LEAVING TO MEET A YOUNG GUY BELOW NORRIS TO FISH THIS MORNING BEFORE THE FLOOD AT 10 AM.
I hope to get more involved and to start carrying the load for a while. I am grateful to so many who have paved the way.
to choose, to respond, to change.”