View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 PM

That's a tough situation for sure.

Having guided on the Hiwassee for years, I've grown quite complacent of recreational boaters. We see thousands every day from Memorial day through Labor Day. I used to want to strangle them all, then I realized the fish also got used to them to the point that they'd eat right behind them. Also, the Hiwassee is plenty wide enough to allow us to get away from the prime whitewater runs. All in all its kindly an aggravation, but overall doesn't really effect our fishing.

Now, applying the same boat traffic to a smaller river that lacks an abundance of lines presents an obvious problem. I float the Caney from time to time but it's typically always between November and March when the crowds are not that bad. I couldn't imagine trying to fish there with that traffic during the summer, much less taking clients down the river.

I agree that a resource shouldn't be limited to a certain demographic, and should be open to all. However, when you add a commercial aspect to it, you come up with a situation where private stake holders can pimp out the river with little to nothing going back into the resource. Unless you count the litter as something going into the river. Add to the mix that the rental companies do nothing to discourage alcohol use while in their equipment and you come up with even more problems.

Tough situation for sure and I wish the Caney anglers the best of luck in coming to an acceptable management practice with TWRA and TWRC.