View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 AM

Default 10/6 A Day in Cataloochie (Pic Heavy)

So I had the day free today, and I knew that I would spend it in the park, but I couldn't decide where. After fishing in the Townsend area, yesterday, and the close proximity to my work, I figured I can go there on an afternoon pretty easily and wanted to go somewhere a little further away. I was going through a list of possible places - Elkmont, Roaring Fork, Twentymile, Greenbriar, and Cataloochie. I eliminated Twentymile first, because at its lower elevation, I figured I can go there later. I didn't want to drive out to Elkmont because I figured it would be flush with fishermen, and Roaring Fork requires the Motor Scenic Loop which means lots of Tourons, taking pictures of squirrels just like they have at home, which left Greenbriar and Cataloochie. I finally decided on Cataloochie because I fished Greenbriar last weekend.

As I went down I-40, my first glimpse of the mountains showed lots of clouds:

But when I got to the Pigeon River Gorge, it seemed like they were starting to lift

Deeper in, you could see the leaves changing colors

By the time I got up on Cove Creek Road, the

The Valley looked great, but the elk weren't out

There were lots and lots of people in the Valley today, and it took a long time to get to the end of the road. I got rigged up and headed down the Pretty Hollow Trail. There were lots of piles of fresh horse manure but I didn't see another person or horse.

When I got to the split below CS 39, I took the Palmer Creek Trail and hike up it. This trail, for the most part, while it follows the stream, is usually pretty high up off it, and there aren't a lot of places to easily get down to the stream

About 2/3 of the way to Lost Bottom Creek, there was a good access point, which only required a short steep path down, followed by a little bit of a Rhodo beast to get through.

The fishing was good, a mix of rainbows and brookies

In all shapes and sizes

Taking Droppers

And Dries

There are lots of big fallen trees that lay across the stream

I caught about 1 fish per run, usually after that the pool or run was thoroughly spooked