View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 AM

And the fishing was didn’t suck either. I started picking up fish as soon as I hit the water. Drew and I had split the stream back in July and caught a lot of fish and fishing with your son is pretty special but having it all to myself was magical as well. The water was lower than the summer and the fish seemed to be a little bigger although some of that could just have been the spectacular fall coloring. They were bumping the dry softly but crushing any small dropper although they seemed to show a preference for a red bodied gray soft hackle in a size 16. I have no idea how many fish I caught but I doubt I had ten casts in a row without a fish all day. I had a grand slam of brown, bow, brook and cut by 10:30.

The day really couldn’t get any better so I just took my time and soaked it in. Many times I would find that I had stopped casting and was simply staring at the stream and scenery around me mesmerized by the stunning beauty of the surrounding valley that I had all to myself. It was easy to imagine myself as an early mountain man alone in an untouched unspoiled valley far from the human world… … and it wasn’t even total imagination.

That last picture is my favorite hole on the whole stream and on 90 percent of my trips into this watershed over the last 15 years it has yielded the biggest fish of the day. I stopped and watched the hole carefully planning my attack. A series of tree limbs had come down since the summer and the cast would be easier but the current was a little tricky. I saw several fish feeding, two large shadows and several smaller ones. The key is that the little ones often spook the bigger ones when they are caught. The smaller ones were in the back of the hole with the two large shadows holding the prime feeding lies in the upper deeper part of the hole. I chose to push farther up into the hole and hopefully not spook the little ones but give me a chance to make my first cast deep up the hole for the big ones. The cast landed gently and smoothly. I saw one of the large shadows detach from the bottom and rise slowly to my dry. I held my breath and waited but the fish trailed the dry for a second and rolled back toward the depths in a swift but heartbreaking refusal. I started to pick up my cast in frustration when I realized I was fast to a weight in the current and realized that while I had been watching the dry the dropper had been picked up by the other large shadow. The fight was short and furious but soon enough one of the prettiest colored cutts I had ever seen was posing next to my little blonde Schaaf Creede rod.