Thread: GPS Custom Maps
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM

You're welcome, muskrat.

Now back to Hoosier's original topic... GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
...post on Go Smokies, and the fact that I just recently had to replace my gps and was reading the manual led me to give it a shot. I first tried to copy the Sierra Club 70's map off Tom Dunigan's site (one that has most smokies manways on it), and while I succeeded in making a .kml file, the resolution of the photo was so big that it didn't work....

... I wish (hint hint Joe Fred, or Mr Kirk) someone would have something out that we could load
James
Very interesting, James. We may be on to something here, team!
Here are two snipits that might work for you, they are of the Raven Fork Three Forks area from the Mount Guyot 7.5 min series quad at an approximate scale of 1:15,000, or about 160% that of the original.
300 pixels/inch
72 pixels/inch
You may need to, among other tweaks, reduce the color saturation some so the shadows are not too dark.
Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
JoeFred,

Wow, Its been a little while since i last visited your website. You sure have made a lot of changes. I guess you have not been sleeping or out fishing all last year.
Hey, Mac. Unfortunately I didn't get in a lot of fishing this year, but I did get to camp at both 'monts finally, and log some hiking miles in the 'Luftee, Deep Creek & Cosby Creek watersheds. I did manage to get in some sleeping. Guess much of my late 60s is centered around maps, aps and naps.

Last edited by JoeFred; 12-12-2012 at 12:38 PM..