View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetroutman View Post
M.B.
I tied one of the midges up right before I went out today just to see how awesome it looks on the water. Unfortunately I did not see a ton of riser but fished with it for awhile but I could not seem to find a happy medium between it floating high and it sinking. When you fish it can you see the fly or are you strictly going on feel.
joetroutman,
To clarify, this pattern needs a good (bug) hatch to be effective. Then; you need to fish it to a rise, or fast water, or close to the bank (structures).

If those conditions are not available; it is blind faith fishing at best.

I like to fish this pattern at sunrise and SUNSET with sunset being one of the best times. However; if you have a steady rise; throw it to them and work it.

The key is to get it to float and use slight bumps; it is a fine line to not immerse the fly. The best action is when you get a faint ripple around the fly.

Try changing to a larger hook, adding more foam, adding more hackle, etc. to keep it from sinking.

If you have a hard time seeing it; fish it closer and crouch down and use a stealthier approach.

I will try and shoot a video this weekend to help illustrate some of my ideas.

Be careful to not get locked in to one pattern. I meant to share this pattern to supplement a winter pattern collection for the Clinch River. I enjoy fishing dries/emergers and this pattern has always done me well.
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”