View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM

Default Walter Babb Fly Tying Demonstration yesterday 1/12/13

I am a relatively new fly tyer and have been having a great time doing it now for probably a year. I was talking to Byron @ Little River Outfitters before Christmas telling him how much I am enjoying tying and told him that I wanted to learn all I could about tying patterns that work in the mountains. He said there were many great tyers around that I could learn from, and if I had a chance that I would probably enjoy and benefit from Mr. Walter Babb's experience. I saw on the LRO website that Mr. Babb was doing a demonstration yesterday 1/12/13 from 10am-2pm so I left Nashville at 4am and drove over to soak up all I could learn from him. What a great guy and Lord does he know his stuff! I learned a lot. He helped me realize that if I'm primarily fishing dry flies in the Smokies, that I am severely limiting myself by not including wet flies and nymphs in my toolbox. So I have committed to learn how to tie some of his favorites like the Speck, the Blackburn Tellico Nymph, The George Nymph, Smoky Mountain Candy, The Thunderhead, etc. Again I can't say enough nice things about Mr. Babb. Harry Crabtree in Nolensville, TN