View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 PM

Default 6-months minimum

Hey guys,

I'm a Civil Engineer and without actually seeing it, I would say that this repair will likely have to be a bridge or a substantial amount of fill material with some sort of drainage system and geogrid reinforcement (like the abutments along highway overpasses) . The problem with a bridge is ensuring an adequate foundation, or the next slide will wipe out the bridge. If it is a rockslide, there will likely have to be some stabilization above the slide such as rock bolts or shotcrete to reduce the chance of further sliding or spalling. There is likely a slip surface that will have to be eradicated through blasting or some other stabilization before any construction can begin.

Looks like I'll be fishing on the NC side this Spring, unless they get some good weather and it's an easier fix than it appears. I wonder if the slide went far enough down the slope to affect the Oconaluftee?

“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.” – Will Hunting (played by Matt Damon), Good Will Hunting