View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM

Default They're coming...

If making excuses for the instinctive ways of apex predators and lard-butt pizza eaters is comforting to you, then you will love the eminent arrival of wolves here in the not so distant future. The big bad wolves are roaring southward in numbers through Missouri and into Arkansas faster than Epsom salt scouring out the lower tract of a widow woman. Do you recall how our brilliant wildlife biologists told us back in the 1970s that there were no coyotes in Tennessee, just the occasional feral “coydog.” Tell me with a straight face that is not hilarious to recall—almost as funny as when the same brain trust tried to pass off the red wolf thingie. Talk about millions of dollars inserted into the anal vent of a wild hog!!
I used to spend a good bit of time in the Yukon. When I was not pestering pike and grayling, one of my favorite things was roaming the area in search of moose antlers. One year after a particularly bad winter with above average snow fall, I saw the results of when the local wolves went on a rampage. The wolves pretty near exterminated all of the moose in the area. They ran down the moose in the high snow, killed them, and the left the critters to move on to more killing. You call it eating the choice parts. Why do you think the ranchers and hunters in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and a couple of other states are so upset with the reintroduction of wolves?
Wolves kill game. Otters kill fish. Man has spent a couple thousand years trying to get rid of the wolves and otters. Man is the apex predator. Some members of our species that are not highly evolved, such as a knuckle dragger like me, want to catch all of the trout and not feel compelled gnaw on the dried out crust at CiCi’s. We dwellers at the shallow end of the gene pool prefer not to protect (or for that matter finance the protection of) wolves, otters, shark, rattlensnakes, brown recluse spiders, ticks, coyotes, copperheads, vampire bats, or leeches. Other than providing a few wildlife biologists their retirement, how has the reintroduction of otters benefited anything or anyone? Are we better of now than we were two decades ago when they were gone? Perhaps when wolves are a plentiful here as coyote, and I personally believe that will happen, popular tolerance of apex predators will wane.