View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Question Need Help Re. Custom Maps for Android Phones

2/15/13 UPDATE: See annotations in RED below.

I am still interested in supplying some select custom map KML/KMZ files for Garmin and other compatible GPS devices (likely for free). (See Hoosier's related thread "GPS Custom Maps.") But to better see the results of my iterations, I will need to buy me a handheld.

But first, I would like to see what capabilities exist for creating custom topo GPS maps for Android phones to help me up the learning curve. At this stage all I have is Verizon's VZ Navigator app (vznavigator.com) which came with the Droid Razr. It appears VZ Navigator is not capable of importing custom maps of any type.

After many goes at it in Google, here is an app I found that looks to have promise:
BackCountry Navigator PRO GPS (backcountrynavigator.com).
Developer: CritterMap Software (crittermap.com)
Description: "Use your phone or tablet as an offroad topo mapping GPS with the bestselling outdoor navigation app for Android! Explore beyond cell coverage for hiking, and trekking. Download topo maps for the US and some other countries in advance, so you won't need cell coverage when navigating.

This (app) uses many publicly available map sources as free downloads. It also has some additional content available as an in app purchase..." (including Accuterra Topo Map Source).
Have downloaded the free BackCountry Navigator Pro Demo version on my Android tablet and phone. (The actual product is $9.95). Looks to be a good app... and now can import KML or GPX files. I haven't mastered that yet, however. User guide is somewhat lacking in this regard. When time permits I will find a forum.

Here's the key point I was looking for:
"You can create your own maps with Mobile Atlas Creator (mobac.sourceforge.net)"
This doesn't appear to be necessary now as the custom KMZ/KML maps will be created using JPEGs and Google Earth.

I was just about to download Mobile Atlas Creator when I thought I should ask the much more tech savvy of you if there is knowledge of either of the applications or others you might suggest.

– JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2013 at 01:58 PM..