Thread: 6 or 7 wt?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadd View Post
I need some help. I'm looking to get a new rod to handle larger fish such as bass, carp, and to take on family vacation to fish from the beach one week out of each year. I'm looking for a 9' 4-pc rod. A fighting butt would be nice. To those with more experience, would a 6 or 7 wt be better suited to my needs?
I enjoy a 6wt for an all-purpose rod. However; I throw a 7wt with the appropriate fly line+leader type=streamers and large wet flies. I have learned the hard way that you should take the time to change your set-up to suit your fly.

If you plan on fishing lakes and ponds; I would expect you will want to throw some streamers and heavier flies. A 7wt would probably suit you better for this type of fly fishing. Also; search "spey casting" on YouTube. It is a casting technique along with a spey butt rod that allows you to cast with limited clearance from land. It looks a little silly; but, it works for many.

Have fun and keep asking questions and learning. One day; you can help spread the spirit!

to choose, to respond, to change.”