View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman01 View Post
When trout are eating caddis emergers, you see the fish leaping out of the water as they chase the caddis toward the surface. Caddis flies do not ride the surface as mayflies do; they jettison right through the surface and make for vegetation. When I am fishing a caddis dry pattern, I always let the bug swing under at the end of the drift and strip it back. After the bug has been dragged under it swings around and starts heading back toward the surface. On the upswing or as you are stripping it back, it appears to be a merger heading for the surface and some of the most aggressive strikes occur during this time. I have fished other patterns in this same fashion and have had good success getting strikes and catching fish. The only problem that arises is that the bug can absorb water and then you need to dry cast a few times to get it floating again. It is well worth the few dry casts, this technique catches fish. So yes, fish do eat dry fly's that become wet, you have been misinformed!
So right you are my friend. I've even had rainbow clear the water and nail the fly while it was being false cast to dry it, where they wouldn't even examine it during the presentation.

On any given day, what works, catches fish. What doesn't wok, doesn't. Sometimes the "purism" fly fisherman practice is what defeats them for the day, but it's all about preserving the art form of fly fishing, lest it be lost forever. Most of the time the practice of "purism" gets results, sometimes it doesn't. Such is life.

I guess if any of us knew what trout "think", our days on the water would be fewer in number. Maybe not.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather