View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 12:05 AM
NDuncan's Avatar
NDuncan NDuncan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 704

We used a spare 5x7 Walmart backpacking tarp to collect and pack out a good sized pile of small sticks

We packed up and headed down the trail. Before we reached cs 71, the storm hit us hard. The lightning was close enough that we took cover for about a half hour in a rhododendron ****. We pulled a full sized 12x12 tarp over us and hoped to stay as dry as possible but we got soaked and were pretty cold by the time started hiking again. Reaching cs70 was a huge relief.

We got a tarp set up and some dry clothes on and just sat and watched the rain until dark. Using the tin cans I packed out of 75 left by the horse campers and our bundle of dry sticks, I fashioned a crude twig stove like I have seen on smoke of the ultralight backpacking sites. It worked like a charm and we had a hot dinner

The next day, the weather was good and the guys were ready for some combat fishing

We all went our separate ways and I went up above 70. Unfortunately, I left my camera at camp and wasn't about to go back and get it by the time I realized this. At first it was really slow. Mostly small rainbows. About 4, I picked up a 6 inch brown on a tan never sink. Later on I got a good 8 inch rainbow which I kept for dinner. I was catching a lot of small bows but when I got closer to the crossing below 69 a large fish hit my dry. When I was pulling him in, he broke the surface and I saw the unmistakable dark body and orange underbelly of a Brookie. He got off with a quick shake. I was not going to have a another slam with an * so I swapped out my dropper with a pink weenie. A couple of casts later, I had a 9" Brookie to add to my dinner and a slam in the bag! I went back below 70 and keep fishing until dark. By the time I stopped, I had a limit and was pretty happy with that. The other guys had only had smaller fish so the 5 fish were what we had for dinner with a big pot of white rice.

The following day we fished around 70 again, but it was much colder and we tried to stay dry. Matt managed 3 keepers and I got 1.

I didn't have good enough signal to look up the weather but was able to get updates from duckypaddler via text message. We were in for a colder night and and worse weather on the way.

Sure enough the next day it was so cold there wasn't any action by the fish. We sat around a fire and relaxed most of the day.

That night right after dinner. Matt remarked that it was warmer than last night at this time and maybe it wouldn't be as bad. About as soon as he said that....

Reply With Quote