View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Default Breck you are too kind :)

Thanks for your kind and gracious words. By the way, my favorite fishing partner as a kid growing up, was my Uncle George. My Dad never seemed to want to do much with my brother and I as kids growing up, I suppose in part it was due to "burnout" or some such thing. Dad had been very involved in Boy Scouts along with his Dad before him and as a kid, later as a young man, I would meet adult men who upon learning my name would ask if Dan Thorpe was my father. When I'd reply that he was, they would go on and on about how much he meant to them for all he had invested in their lives through scouting...my brother and I shook our heads in disbelief, wondering how that could even be possible...

My Uncle seemed to understand and he liked to fish, so when he had time, he would always try to get me to take him out with me in my old leaky and decrepit boat. We would always catch fish and swap stories, and his involvment helped me develop some sense of personal worth. I am sure some of your nephew's fondest, if not the fondest of his memories will have to do with time spent with you!

God Bless and thanks for sharing!!!
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton