Thread: clinch 4/20
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
There is a ton that goes into why certain bugs live in certain rivers yet don't exist in others that appear similar.

The SOUTH HOLSTON has a different substrate than the clinch which allows for it to have Baetis, however the Clinch historically has just has big a Sulphur hatch as the SOUTH HOLSTON. It may last a shorter period of time, or be timed different, but I have seen a ton of hatches on the Clinch which covered the river bank to bank with adults, and it looked like it was reverse snowing yellow bugs. The Clinch is subjected to much higher flows which could cause fluctuations in hatch strength from year to year.

The Holston below cherokee has strong caddis because of the substrate being a lot of round rock and warmer water temps which seem to make caddis thrive.

I am not bug expert by any means, but stating the Clinch has a small and sparse Sulphur hatch makes this conversation almost a non starter. The Clinch has never had a great caddis population, other than the tiny black ones which hatch late summer.
I agree Jim! The Clinch substrate is varied compared to some of the other tailwaters. Also; the river-flow is extremely varied compared to the S. Holston. However; I believe there are several mini-ecosystems on the Clinch that do consist of some unique benthic life.

I have noticed a large increase in the amount of cased caddis on the lower end of the river this year. They seem to be consistent and plentiful. Anyone else finding these on the lower end?
to choose, to respond, to change.”