View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Elk Standing Factor

Yesterday I had to help in a 5k race at my school but still had the late afternoon to get away and fish. Driving through Estes Park, I noticed the elk were all over the place and all but one was standing. I wondered if an elk standing factor near 100% might be a good thing...

I arrived in Rocky Mountain National Park around 5 and quickly rigged up. The sky was threatening rain so I put on my rain jacket...it was chilly also so the extra warmth was nice.

I wanted to fish streamers so tied on a Bellyache Minnow. On the first cast, a really nice brown swirled but missed. I started working my way downstream, not worrying about other anglers being out on such a nasty day. Glancing off to the west, the sky promised precipitation would be falling shortly.

I continued working downstream and started noticing fish rising all over. A small hatch of BWOs seemed to be coming off and the fish were feeding as if it was their first meal in months. Since the stream was under ice all winter, it wasn't their first meal but was probably their first banquet in a while.

By this time my fingers were too cold to tie on a dry fly rig so I stuck with the streamer. Besides, I wanted to find some nicer fish. Fish kept coming out to swirl on the streamer but for the most part were missing the hook. Finally an aggressive brown came out, and I got a solid hook-up. I snapped a quick picture and then hurried to put the camera away. The rain was becoming steady, and I didn't want to ruin another nice camera.

I continued downstream, catching fish here and there and even missing some big fish. I spooked one monster that looked like a torpedo as it took off. However, the big fish were eluding me, and I was getting colder. Perseverance kicked in, and I kept fishing. Finally, I tossed the streamer in the slack water of a beautiful bend pool and saw a dark shadow rocket out. The line came tight, and I had a nice fish. This was a great way to end the day. I took a picture and released the fish to catch again another time...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com

Last edited by David Knapp; 05-06-2013 at 05:48 PM..