Thread: Clinch 5/19
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
What was an uncrowded river this past weekend has turned into an unmitigated zoo in a matter of days. I understand you and Rod's sentiments perfectly, and the crowds drove me from the Clinch years ago, I still sneak back from time to time, but it is usually before the crowds begin after everyone starts spreading the word.

The time has come to vanish for the summer, thankfully there are other places and species which get far less attention. Or should I say that those who chase those species in those places keeps a very low profile to protect the sanctuaries that remain.

I can share the water with other fly fisherman generally, and had a good time visiting today with some old friends I hadn't seen in a while, but the spillage of intel attracts a much more unsavory river guest, those who kill with no regard for etiquette, limits, or ethics in general.
Jim,
I hate that you punish yourself for the acts of others. I enjoy the freedom of having the river to myself as well. However; I know that it is not mine and I am glad to share and see others enjoy it as well.

I tend to disagree with your last statement. I believe most of the members on this forum are fly fisherman and they tend to be some of the most respectful people I meet on the river. It could be that the weir dam access is closed and all the fish mongers have migrated to other spaces. They seem to be most lacking in fishing etiquette, laws, regulations, etc.

We need to promote the Clinch as a premiere fishery and promote conservation of this precious resource. Trust me; in the near future-we will all long for the days when a few fly fisherman on the water were our worries. Development will imp-roach on the Clinch and slowly erode the beauty of this fishery. The only way to thwart this is to be more involved in local politics.

There are lobbyist right now trying to get certain areas of the Clinch rezoned for mass development. They have the money connections and do not worry about the Clinch as a resource; only for their next cash cow and maybe some bank's next bankruptcy burden.
to choose, to respond, to change.”