Thread: Clinch 5/19
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Shawn, I really am not negative about this stuff and hope everyone who spends time on the river has great success. There was a time when I generally didn't speak to others on the water unless I knew them. That has changed over the years and as I said earlier I had some great times this past week visiting with some folks on the river that I hadn't seen in years.

I find peace in remote places where many times the fish have only seen my flies. I don't do it out of bitterness towards others, I do it because I enjoy it. I primarily fish for other stuff than trout anymore simply because after 25 years on the Clinch with a bunch of those guiding I'm a little burned out on every aspect of trout fishing our tail waters.

I honestly will never get over my sentiments towards bait fisherman, way too many twra meetings attended listening to them rant for me to ever be able to move on. I know forgiveness is the right approach but this is so deep it will never go away.

I'm typing this from a hotel room in central North Carolina where I have spent all day catching monster grass carp on cicadas and even landed an 8 lb largemouth. We've not seen another fly fisherman and to me it doesn't get better than this. Nothing against others but this is what I enjoy at this stage of my career.