View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I see the buffalo scattered all up and down the river, I usually don't fish very often above Peach Orchard, but from there all the way down I see them constantly while wading or floating. I wade at Coldwater and 3 miles below Coldwater primarily, and there are plenty in those areas. I usually see a few more carp the closer to 61 I get or close to the major creeks which flow into the river.

I have only accidently caught buffalo on a flies, and never on the Clinch. I have had them turn up on the Holston but never been able to get them to eat anything. Carp on the other hand, I have targeted and caught by the truckloads over the years.

How are you getting the Buffalo to eat? I have force fed them (snagged) but never cast to one and actually had it eat. They are vegetarians and I would love to know your secrets, as I have failed miserably in my pursuit.
My go to fly is a Clouser Sparkle Grubb in Olive/Green/Light Chartreuse. I fish them in just a couple feet of water around vegetation with an intermdeiate line, and I just rip through the grass and pause over and over. I have been lucky enough to stumble across huge consistent spawns year after year so it helps my odds.

On the Holston there are 3 areas I fish, wish like you I wont reveal specifics, but they are always close to large spawns of Carp. Don't know the reasoning they are so close together, its probably just coincidence.