Thread: Overnight Trips
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Float On View Post
I tend to go a little overboard when it comes to first aid, if there is such a thing. I've even consider taking a class in "backcountry first aid".

.................. It always seems to be the little things that you forget and that i want to avoid if possible.
Once you get started, you'll soon learn that it's the little things that you never use and should have just left at home.

A first aid class would be great. There's no use in taking first aid supplies when you don't know how to use them. But, my first aid kit consists of a space blanket, 2 aspirin, 2 Benadryl's, a small tube of super glue and about half a dozen wraps of duck tape on a walking stick. If something happens to you that you can't fix with that, you're going to have to come off the mountain anyways.

I never weigh anything anymore. Being in my 40's, I go for comfort. I figure I can always run a few more miles each week to make up for it. Most of my backpacking is for 7-10 days at a stretch where I/we pack into a base camp and hunt out of it. I do relatively few overnight night trips for fishing. If I did more short trips, I might be more concerned about weight, but my overnighters for fishing are more of a test run for my backcountry hunting set-up.

The 5 gallon bucket was found in a meadow in the Holy Cross Wilderness. It was full of candy!!!