View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked_On_Fly_Fishing View Post
Thanks to all of you for the great information. I spend some of my time on the Clinch so I will check the release schedule for sure. The footing sounds more like Abrams Creek....with the slope of the rock and the slickness that is one of the toughest places to wade for me. Do you guys see much dry fly action on the Hiwassee or is it like the Clinch with mostly nymph fishing?
Some of the best caddis hatches I have ever seen. Elk Hair caddis is my choice of dry fly on this river over other patterns. I will fish this by itself when a hatch is going on; when I do not see any surface activity, I will use the caddis as a strike indicator and tie on a bead-head, flash-back caddis dropper, zebra midge or copper-john and I continue to be on fish. When fish are midging on the surface, I use a #20 griffith gnat and that has proven to be very productive for me as well. Lastly during a pulse and the fish seem to refuse any of these patterns, I pull out the olive wolley bugger and once again, all is good.