Thread: Hazel Creek
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
Next month I have the opportunity to spend a few days on the famed creek.

I am reaching out to all on any advice i.e., feeder creeks worth not missing, places that most who visit might overlook but are a "must see" and anything that would fall into the category if you were to fish the area again what "would you do differently".

I am truly interested in the history of the area as much if not more than the fishing.

The dates are 10 - 13 October.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. If you don't want to post, please email me below.

There are 2 -3 spots still available.

Thank you in advance.

Breck

breckdavis100@gmail.com
Breck,

I have long wanted to try Hazel, but have yet had the opportunity to fish it. (I've done Eagle, Deep, Noland, Forney but not Hazel); I don't have any first hand advice to give. However I can advise you to do a little reading. I can get down to the park only so often, so I read a lot about the park when I can't be there. This forum has many helpful people; but I think you will be able to obtain answers for the many unasked questions with some reference materials.

To find the feeder streams with ease, at 1:2100 scale (about 3 times greater than the Trails Illustrated maps); get Fred's maps of Hazel. He has 2 maps covering the area HCU and HCL, and there are a lot of marked up feeder streams on both.

I think picking up these books would be great for the history aspect in addition to providing details on the creek and feeders.

First and foremost would be a copy of Jim Casada's "Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider’s Guide to a Pursuit of Passion" He gets into the history quite a bit; this is much better better than just a fishing guide.

Another great book, if you can get your hands on it is Kenneth Wise's "Hiking Trails of the Great Smoky Mountains, A Comprehensive guide." Wise covers a lot of history, much better than the ubiquitous "Brown Book". It also includes trails that are no longer listed in the Brown Book; Breakneck Ridge is a prime example. Well used copies go for about $30; and there are listings for new copies for as much as $900. Jim Casada posted here seveal years back that Kenneth is working on a new edition. It will be on my bookshelf as soon as I hear of its existence.

Don Kirk and Greg Ward's recent "The Ultimate Fly-Fishing Guide To The Great Smoky Mountains" covers history well. Several people noted that the book didn't contain a whole lot of new material compared to Don's previous books. I have those books as well, and I think Greg's new contributions are a great compliment to Doug's work. If you have Don's other books, you might not want this one. If you don't have his other titles; go for it.

Ian Rutter's "Great Smoky Mountains National Park Angler's Companion." is pretty much all fishing, however it is an excellent book, and in my opinion has some of the best fishing advice available. Reading the book isn't going to be entertaining like those above; this is a technical reference. The amount of material that Ian put into some 60 pages is impressive. I suspect giving brief detailed advice to customers at Little River Outfitters years ago contributed to that.

Please post a report with lots of pictures; I won't be down again until November.

Last edited by mattblick; 09-12-2013 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: spelling