View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 AM

UPDATE: Below is a post from an Utah TV station yesterday regarding the Grand Canyon in Arizona and parks in Utah, I am trying to keep politics out of these updates, but you can now see the individual states are starting to reach their limits when it comes to the federal government and local tourist impact dollars in their respective areas. My dog in the fight is a 2wt begging for a Smokies stream, that I don't have to walk 20 klicks ( a klick is aprox. .62 miles for those always wondering what that means) to get to!

AZ residents, business leaders to protest shutdown at Grand Canyon

Posted: Oct 07, 2013 8:16 PM EDT Updated: Oct 08, 2013 9:35 AM EDT Posted by Steve Stout -

ST. GEORGE, UT (CBS5/AP) - Arizona residents and business leaders will protest the shutdown of the U.S. government today at the gates of the Grand Canyon.
MOREAdditional Links

Federal officials have turned down offers of local financial assistance to keep the park running.
Meanwhile, county governments across southern Utah are moving to condemn the shutdown of national parks by declaring an official emergency.
The Spectrum of St. George reports that lawmakers in Washington, Iron, Kane, Grand and Paiute counties are filing separate resolutions declaring a state of emergency.
Iron County Commissioner Dave Miller calls the shutdown of national parks a political stunt and abuse of power by federal officials.
He raises the possibility that Utah or Arizona could take over the national parks. Miller says they're being mismanaged.
The parks closed a week ago when a lingering budget dispute in Congress defunded much of the federal government.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"