Thread: Last Hurrah....
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Default Last Hurrah....

I made one last trip to the Park before the end of my fishing season...I live too far away to drive all the way up there during the winter season to toss lead at trout-sicles!! My brother and I drove over from Columbia, SC on Saturday and headed to Roaring Fork.

The Burg was rediculous with the last of the peepers and the football fans for the game. There was the requisite bear jam on the motor trail before making the last pull out before leaving the park.

Sun never came out but had a 25-30 fish day fishing para adams on the top. Also had action on a bead head PT but if they are hitting dries who would want to fish a nymph. Water was tolerable and wet waded through the gorge and up to the last bridge. With the water level down it is a lot easier fishing this section.

Waited for the sun to come up on Sunday and warm things up before heading to the WPLP. I like the lower water levels down in this area because it allows access to more water and easier crossings. Began with a Thunderhead with a leadwing coachman dropper. Soon cut the dropper with all the hits coming on the surface. All our fish on Sunday were caught on dries. After a nice trout took me under a rock and broke me off I switched to a number 14 PMX in yellow...the fish kept hitting this with abandon and my brother finished off the day with a nice 12" rainbow on a sparkle stimulator. Another high number day and all on dries. Don't be afraid to still go to some bigger flies on a sunny day...I think the fish know the lean times are just around the corner and will eat those meaty bugs if given a chance.

The worse part of right now is the amount of dead leaves on the river banks...just cannot tell where you are stepping...so be careful.