View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 AM

All I could hear in my head is my forestry department sons voice about how much better this forest would be after this fire, the elimination of the dead stand beetle killed trees would be a positive thing for this forest and in the end it would be stronger and prettier than ever and on an intellectual level I truly understood that .. but on a purely selfish level I knew that those positive changes would never occur in MY lifetime and if this forest would never be the same in my lifetime, then I had truly lost one of the most important things in my world. But then again, the lives of men are short in terms of the time lines of forest and the time lines of my life are even shorter than that of most men. On one hand the best news is that the forest will recover and the worst news is .. I will never see it back in its prime.

But a few miles later and I drove out of the burn zone, parking my car at my favorite trailhead. This particular stream and this particular trip has been a highlight of my year for a very, very long time. My boys first went to this stream with me almost 15 years ago. They know this is where I eventually want my ashes scattered, in short it is a place that is very, very near and dear to my heart. As such I cant tell you the gratitude that I felt when I got away from the trail head and realized that it was totally untouched from the horrors of fire that I had seen below. I have written of this stream so many times I wont rewrite the beauty and the fishing but will simply post a few pictures to show that once again it performed far above any possible expectations and that it is truly worthy of my love and devotion.

A slam as always:

And scenery beyond compare:

And a few varied and different images just for the fun of it. Check the dropper and see who hooked who on the first picture and then a couple of a cutty pics in a new light and a brown flashing true gold in the water of the Colorado hills.