Thread: Fun with Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softhackle View Post
I've been working on filling up my fly boxes for next year. I've never tried tying a comparadun before but, this year I'm going to try. You're right the thread body gives it a nice slim profile just like you would see in an adult mayfly. Most of my mayfly imitations are tied parachute style or Klinkhammer style which works up here but, I think those flies would be drowned in the turbulent streams of the Smokies
Deerhair is hollow so even a comparadun should float well in the streams in the Smokies.
I've never heard of using an old fly line for a body before. It would certainly be a fun experiment to try. When you use a lighter to taper the body do you need to it in well ventilated room? Would there be an issue with the fumes given off?

Softhackle, old fly line works fabulous for dry flies. I tie several of my dries with it in a combination of variations. The easiest is to cut a piece to the desired body size and use a razor or knife to shave one side flat. I use a flame to mold the ends. Also; I like to use a little super glue to help situate and start the fly. You can use the original fly line color for the body or color it with a marker. A traditional look is to wrap it with your favorite thread color. Note your old line's taper style so that you can select from areas with different line thickness for different bodies. I am sure there are some risks with an open flame. However; I just use enough to whisk the ends of the line and taper with my fingers. Hope this helps.
to choose, to respond, to change.”