View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Default Conundrum with recently released Helios 2 X2

Upon release and receiving the new Helios 2, in particular the 5 wt Tip Flex, the 7 wt Tip Flex and a 7 wt Switch Rod Tip Flex, my fishing took me to a new and interesting journey. First of these journeys was my largest Brown Trout on the Clinch and many fish there after. I couldn't be more satisfied with these rods.

With the exception of the Switch rod which I just received yesterday, I have fished the 5 and 7 wt at least 2 days per week in all weather conditions from a drift boat on tailwaters with no complaints until last week after 4 months of fishing these rods.

The 5 wt broke 6-7 in. above the cork while casting. The 7 wt broke in the same 6-7 in. area above the cork three days later. Temps outside were 54 degrees. I have not subjected the rods to anything less than great treatment to and from the water, ferrules always connected properly and no streamer slapping the rods while casting. I'm not a steroid bound muscular guy forcing the rod while casting.

Streamers fished every trip are triple articulated and game changers. These flies when held in the hand dry are for the most part weightless. After wet, there is a huge difference in weight. Coupled with either a 250 or 300 grain sinking line, the weight is similar to a boat anchor.

When choosing the above rods there was never a reference to the types or weights of streamers recommended, therefore I felt the match was usable between rod and streamers thrown.

After speaking with Orvis today reference a streamer such as the game changer and 6-8 in. triple articulated streamers being thrown with these new rods……..are they being stressed more than normal and beyond what might be normally intended for the rod? Their answer, per customer service is " we will check into this and let you know very soon.

Excellent customer service as usual. Interest in solving my problem was at the top of their list. The 5 wt. was delivered today in less than 5 days after arriving at Orvis. I was impressed.

Customer service recommended the 10 wt for the heavier streamers while the jury is out.

Blaine who created the game changer, talked with me at the Asheville show stated he was looking for a different streamer material that wouldn't hold so much water which would affect weight hugely while casting.

Any opinions on these new rods? Any experience in casting heavier streamers with the Helios 2 and have you found a better rod wt match to heavier streamers with the Helios 2 rods?

Any opinions or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Breck