View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 PM

Default Christened the new bamboo

After watching the temperature rising on the USGS flow gage link, and clearing my calendar for the afternoon I decided to leave the office around 11:30 and head for the mountains. My goal was to land my first trout with the 3 weight bamboo I built last winter. My plan was to head straight to a spot that ALWAYS produces this time of year. I saw very few vehicles on Little River Road, but to my disappointment a vehicle was parked at the pull out where I planned to start. A closer look and I realized it was the whole Rutter family - Ian, his wife and a little boy up on Ian's shoulders all of them headed down the road. I'm glad I didn't get there first. I bet they had a good afternoon and landed a few there. Here's the "secret" spot.

At my next stop I geared up and got down to the stream, and of course, it's one of the laws of flyfishing that once you get your waders on, you'll immediately have to pee. So I piled up my stuff and slipped out of view from the highway.

It wasn't long before the new rod bent with a stout 11 inch 'bow.

The crazy thing was, that as I brought this fish in close I bent down just in time to see one of the giant Little River browns follow the rainbow right up to the tips of my boots, make a mad swipe at the fish, then turn and disappear into the bottom of the pool. It was a crazy moment. Ironically, this was the spot where I landed my first Little River trout almost 10 years ago, a 16"" brown.

All in all a nice afternoon. Saw some risers, caught a few nice fish, and officially broke in the new rod. Gotta love spring time in the mountains.