View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
This might offend some, but it needs to be said.

Anyone who uses our tailwaters that didn't attend should be embarrassed and doesn't really deserve the opportunity to enjoy the resource. I didn't see a single one of the guides who uses the rivers, nor did I see the majority of the regular posters here in attenendance. I guess they're more worried about trivial bs or indicator color to show up to help make sure we have trout rivers in the future.
I was lucky enough yesterday to divert my attention away from indicator color for a few hours and attend the meeting.

I came away with a better understanding of the situation, but concerned that at least one of the four recommendations listed isn't even realistic. That leads me to believe that they are searching for the most palatable means of failure as much as they are searching for a real solution.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be many options for a real solution without TVA bearing the majority of the financial burden. In recent years, TVA has been under significant pressure to lower energy rates that have slowly climbed from some of the lowest in the nation to only slightly better than average. They need to be reminded that their ability to use Hydro power (costs fractions per mWh compared to Coal, Nat. Gas, etc) comes with a responsibility to maintain a viable fishery in our tailwaters. I think TVA's damming and destruction of a thriving trout fishery in the Little Tennessee only furthers that responsibility.