View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Beginner Fly Tying

Andyo,

Like Byron said, start with a good book that covers the fundamentals for tying nymphs, dries streamers, and wets (assuming you will be tying flies for trout). Instead of spending alot of time piddling with a kit, at first get just what you will need for tying a few proven fly patterns in the area you most plan to fish. Best if you can take a class or sit down with a friend who ties. I don't know how long you have been flyfishing, but I applaud your willingness to give tying a try! If I could only have 6 flys in my trout box, they would be: Adams dry sz.16, Elk hair caddis dry sz. 14, Gold Ribbed Hairs ear nymph sz. 12. Partridge and Orange soft-hackled wet fly sz. 12, Olive wooley bugger (streamer) sz. 10, and a Bead Head Pheasant Tail nymph sz. 14. Others top six may vary some, but this was meant to be an example. Many fo the materials needed to tye these six flies, and others of course carry over from patern to pattern. From the materials list to tye these patterns can come many other fly patterns and variations using the very same skills used to tye them.
Buy a decent vice without going over board. Buy this I mean one in the $100-150 dollar range. A decent tool kit will probably cost you around $ 50 for the basics. *For vices I would recomend HMH Spartan, Dynaking Kingfisher, Regal C-clamp or pedestal. I wouldn't recomend a "true Rotary" style vice to begin with even with the $69 price tag for a Danvise. A fixed platform is much more stable and less aggrivating/distracting for the new tyer. *Materials to tye all of the above listed flys(and I'm talking about enough to tye dozens of them) you are looking at maybe $ 100 worth. Not trying to be discouraging because you very well may get discouraged with a discount kit for $50 bucks.
If you are ready to make the leap into tying, you owe it to yourself to buy decent stuff at the onset. Once you have made some decisions on what flies you would like to tye, then make that your goal. The patterns I suggested are just that; suggestions. They all work for me in the park and nearly all trout waters that I have stalked. The skills gained by tying these patterns are unvisersal in trout fly tying. Most of the better begining tying books will suggest these very patterns or ones very similar requiring the same skills to tye them. Hope some of this advise helps you. My only other advise is go down to LRO and let one of their staff walk you through exactly what you need. I don't believe any of them will sell you crap or push you to buy expensive stuff you don't need. One of the reasons I love dealing with them. Not only that but their tying materials are the most reasonably priced you will find! So maybe you spend $300...might be alot to swallow but you will go home happy and anxious to get started!
I started flyfishing about 6 years ago. About 6 months later I started tying and haven't looked back since. There is nothing more satisfying than fooling a trout with a fly that you tyed! You learn to cast, then how to rig your rod. You learn to select flys, present them and how to read a stream. You learn about the bugs in your waters and then learn how to tye to imitate them...Circle complete!

Happy Tying,

AA
2Timothy2:15