View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Beginner Fly Tying

Robinma,
I can sympathize with your financial situation. *I started tying when I was still in college and broke. *I did a lot of substituting with my flies, mostly with stuff I got hunting or could buy from Walmart. *Surprisingly, most of it worked out. *I actually think substituting materials is a good idea as you're being forced to innovate, and who knows, you might come up with something that works better than the original. *Eventually, if you stick with it, you will come to have a good collection of the needed materials and can tie your flies by the recipes. *Until then, I say keep doing what you're doing. *Not sure what materials you have, but you can use deer hair or poly yarn or turkey flats for the wing on hendrickson's. *Check out this article for a few ideas: http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/tljswings/. *Matching the color perfectly on wings isn't a big concern, or doesn't seem so to me. *To be perfectly honest, you could probably get away without the wings at all, just hackle. *I use light blue dun on my BWOs and it works well. *Sounds like you're doing well. *You can always pick up a few flies from LRO to fill out your box for your trip, and make sure to get a few new materials. *Like 3flies said, it's more important to fish the flies you have well. *I think it would probably be difficult for you to tie a flie that won't catch a fish at some point. *My brother whipped me last fall on a North Carolina stream with a parachute Adams that looked like a big wad of fur. *I figure he was imitating a chewing gum emerger with that thing. *He is new to tying as well.

hawgdaddy