Thread: Slickrock Creek
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to 3flies
Default Re: Slickrock Creek

If you are coming in from the TN side you can turn onto an access road just before you get to the ****. Follow it down to the put in area on the lake. It is then about a 30 min. paddle down the left side of the lake to the mouth of Slickrock. You cannot paddle up the creek, it is too rocky, shallow and narrow. There are plenty of places to pull your canoe out of the water and then take the trail up stream. When I was there a lot of the side trails were not marked with any kind of signage. A good map was needed if you got off the creek trail. You may also catch trout in the lake. A good streamer, Wooley Bugger and sometimes dries and nymphs will work. I caught most of the fish in the creek on a Thunderhead and a Georges Nymph. E-mail me if you would like more details. The way we went in took about 4 hrs. of backpacking. By accessing the creek from the lake you should be able to make a day trip out of it. Again pick up a good map and check the distance before you go. Remember this is a wilderness area if you go during hunting seasons you will have to deal with a lot of deer and bear hunters. I also recomend some sort of survival pack and if you can help it do not go alone. A simple slip on a rock could be disastorous.