View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Road Prong Report

Well, here it goes: I got to the trailhead at exactly 7 a.m. I was the second car in the parking lot and I stroke up a conversation with the couple there already rigging their rods. It was a husband and wife team from K-town. I asked them if they were going to fish the mouth of the stream and they said yes so I told them I walk upstream in order to give them some room. I began with a yellow stimulator in megasize 10 in order to see the fly in the foam. The water levels were great and the temp was a cool 49. No hatches this early of course but after about an hour or so I had caught seven fish two of the fish were bow's. All were under 8" and then the avalanche of people started. I ran into a local gentleman who had passed me trailside and he had three fish and his buddy a couple of brookies. They were going to fry them tonight and I said I don't blame you, have at it, it will only better the fishing. Note. I know this is a touchy subject but that is my personal opinion and feel free to agree or disagree.

After I spoke to him and took his picture I went further upstream and came up on some good cascades. Fishing picked up a little but was still on the slow side.
I ran into a Mr. Zach Matthews who had fished downstream from the Clingman's Dome Rd and we teamed up and fished back up and he was kind enough to give me a ride back to the Chimneys' Trailhead. I managed to get a total of 14 fish today, two of them were bow's. A couple of the fish were 7 inches but most way below that. It is still early in the season and the water really needs another 10 degrees to start cooking up there. I guess that is to expect when you are at 4000+ elev. In summary, a real nice trip, a little slow fishing today but a wonderful area to explor. I do believe fishing on the main stream of West Prong down as far as Cambell Overlook would be a better destination right now due to the cold water up high.