Thread: Snakes
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Snakes

Some interesting information on snakes at:

http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic2143.htm

---
Some highlights:

In the US: Snakebites frequently go unreported. Approximately 4000-7000 bites are reported to national centers each year. North Carolina has the highest frequency, with 19 bites per 100,000 persons. The national average is approximately 4 bites per 100,000 persons.

Deaths secondary to snake bites are rare. With the proper use of antivenin, they are becoming rarer still. The national average has been less than 4 deaths per year for the last several years.

Data gathered in a 5-year retrospective chart review from the University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville (UTMCK), a level-I trauma center, focused on 25 bites. Of these, 4 required fasciotomy and 2 subsequently needed split-thickness skin grafting. The average length of stay was 3.2 days. No deaths occurred, and morbidity was limited to the local wounds.
---

I'm actually more concerned about the 'aviators with armament' - bees and wasps, than the snakes. I've found I can get away from the snakes easier than the aviators. Also, I've been stung several times, but never bitten. ymmv

-halieus