Thread: Snakes
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Default Re: Snakes

Some interesting information on snakes at:

Some highlights:

In the US: Snakebites frequently go unreported. Approximately 4000-7000 bites are reported to national centers each year. North Carolina has the highest frequency, with 19 bites per 100,000 persons. The national average is approximately 4 bites per 100,000 persons.

Deaths secondary to snake bites are rare. With the proper use of antivenin, they are becoming rarer still. The national average has been less than 4 deaths per year for the last several years.

Data gathered in a 5-year retrospective chart review from the University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville (UTMCK), a level-I trauma center, focused on 25 bites. Of these, 4 required fasciotomy and 2 subsequently needed split-thickness skin grafting. The average length of stay was 3.2 days. No deaths occurred, and morbidity was limited to the local wounds.

I'm actually more concerned about the 'aviators with armament' - bees and wasps, than the snakes. I've found I can get away from the snakes easier than the aviators. Also, I've been stung several times, but never bitten. ymmv