View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Southwest Colorado

Hello,

I hiked down into the Black Canyon to fish the Gunnison in 1998 when I was working for the Forest Service as a seasonal for tmy first forestry job. I entered the canyon via SOB draw, which is on the north side. I did it solo, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else since once you get down there you most likely will be the only one on that stretch of the river. It was one of the coolest things places I have been in my life. The canyon and river are awesome, I fished from the bank, as the current was so strong that I was leary of getting washed away with no help in site. I could see nice browns and bows waiting for a morsel to come their way. I caught several fish, one nice rainbow before a severe thunderstorm hit and turned the water muddy in no time. I took shelter under a ledge while thunderbolts were hitting on the top of the canyon. One day I will get back that way, and try the Gunnison again, but I don't think I'll be crazy enough to go it alone There is lots of goodwater in that portion of Colorado, and the West Fork of the Gunnison is another stream you may want to check out on your journey.

Good luck,

Neal