Thread: Asbury Crossing
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Asbury Crossing

Hans, the Asbury crossing is just downstream from the bridge and is a popular fishing section for about 1 mile downstream. The wading is pretty easy but you don't have a good trail anymore going down the creek. I used to go down the right side for a long way but it has grown up so badly and has not been maintained for years and it can get pretty rough, from having to crawl thru laurel thickets on your belly to complete loss of the trail for a short distance. The trail used to go down to a footlog but I don't know what condition it is in now( about 1/2 -3/4 mile downstream). There is another trail that goes down the left side of the creek but it i pretty tight also. The stream itself is one of the best dryfly sections that I've seen. The next problem is (small fish). YOU'LL HAVE TROUBLE GETTING ANYTHING OVER 10 IN. OUT OF THERE. The stream seems to have been taken over by large browns. You will see some of the most beautiful holes that should have 12-14in. rainbows in every one of them, but you will not get anything. That's always an indication that it is inhabited by a large predatory brown. You won't get any of those either. The only place that you'll catch fish is in the smaller runs or pockets that the bigger fish don't want or to catch the stream slightly dingy and fish large streamers. Fish it and let us know how that you fare.
* Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.