Thread: Hello and help!
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Hello and help!

A couple warnings if you want to fish the "shoe" . I've almost spent the night in there once. I know others have spent it!!!!!!
1) Make sure you have enough time. You'll need to be out there early and check to see if the Cades Cove Loop Road is open to cars before 10:00 AM on the day you want to go there. Also the Tourist traffic can be very slow on that road.
2) Watch the amount of daylight, it get dark quickly in the valleys in the Early Spring and Fall.
3) Bring a good flashlight and extra food and water with you and be prepared to spend the night- NOT KIDDING . The trail back out becomes becomes pitch black and dangerous after dark.
4) The Dolomite rocks have a layer of algae on them and are extremely slippery- Wear Felt soles always in the park, especially there.
My brother, from Michigan, wanted to fish it one spring. A lot of little minor things slowed us down getting there,against my better judgement we went on in. Then we got caught in a major thunderstorm and had to sit it out. We had to back track out and ran out of daylight as we got on the trail. It was a long extremely dark, rough walk back through a very black tunnel. If our wives would not have been worried, I would have spent the night.
I don't want to comment heresy but "in my opinion" I'll find fishing other areas just as good at that time of the year.
Tight Lines
Randy Sale