View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Montana Vacation

Thanks to all that responded to my first message! Me and ol'whats-her-name are now back from Montana. Several rivers were indeed closed from noon till midnight because of the high temps, low rainfall and irrigating farmers, but we were able to fish the Missouri, Bighole, and both the East and West Forks of the Bitterroot. The only disappointment of the trip was the lack of hatches in the Missouri and Bitterroot--Montana's Big (unclouded) Sky kept the bugs from doing their thing. A disappointment only on dry flys! The Montana Rainbows, Cuts, Browns, and Cut-Bows were suckers (no pun intended) for drag-free, size 10-12 Hairs-ear, and Pheasant-tail nymphs.
Of special note was our day in an area locals call The Land Of The Giants (LOG). We landed several fish that were 18" to 26" footballs, but several were too big to net on 3X tippet. The smallest fish we caught that day was an 18" (baby Rainbow). Paula has a couple of pictures of ol'whats-her-name's LOG beauties that may appear at this website. Gary, our LOG guide, has a couple of pictures of larger fish that were taken on top with a size 18 hook he calls The Chicken Fly. I'm trying to get him to electronicly send them.