Thread: fall fishing
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 01:26 AM

Default Re: fall fishing

Next to the "yellow flies" hatch in Early June this is actually my favorite time. I usually bump into Rog 1 up above Elkmont about that time, I'll be a little later this year. I carry set of stocking foot hip books in my day pack. They may or may not get used. *Weather can vary so much. I try to stay out of the water as much as possible due to low water. (I worked around a large boulder last fall and spooked a 20+ brown digging a redd. I think I catch more Browns in the fall than any other time. I still throw a lot of beetles , a Renegade (with fat peacock body)and a large tan elk hair caddis- a size 8 or 10 *. There is a large caddis coming off periodically during that time that drives the fish nuts.. *This time of the year is usually "feast or famine" for me. Water levels and the water temperature are the two big factors.

Somehow I got talked into a" Look at the Leaves" trip to New England by the wife for early October. I moved it up to catch the last week of fishing season in Baxter Park for Brookies and West Branch of Penobscot for Landlocks. The boys, in Maine, have to "stop fishing" most places Oct.1st. But I'll be in the park 3rd or 4th week of October.
Randy Sale