View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Late September fishing on S.Holsten

M. Livingstone and Dale, I have been on the South Holston River several times in the last 2 weeks and I fished it today as well. I started below the Weir Dam and fished until about 11:30. I saw small black midges hatching and Baetis as well. The fish took Sulfur Compara Duns and Blackfly Emergers. A few days ago when I fished it, there were Baetis, Sulfurs, and Blackflies Hatching. The fish took the same flies. A few days before that I saw Sulfurs, Baetis, and Creme Midges hatching and the fish took CDC Softhackle Emergers (BWOs) and Blackbird Deerhair Emergers. Today at the last place that we fished, there were several large browns feeding on BWO Emergers. They consistenly took the Blackbird Deerhair Emerger. The water came on at 12:00 today and we made a full day by fishing up close to the dam until 11:30 and then we moved downstream several miles and fished for 2 more hours. We then moved farther down river and fished for two more hours. This gave my clients a full day of fishing even thou the water came on at 12:00. It was a good day on the water. Good luck on your trip.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.