View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Fished all three prongs of Little River Sunday

Hey Swede,

I needed a break and the cool weather inspired me to be a little adventurous, so I decided I needed a roadtrip. Drove up Sunday after church and stopped in LRO just in time to hear Lefty give a few casting tips. Unfortunately I wasn't blonde and curvaceous so I didn't get any personal lessons. *
I just hope when I'm 80 I still have half the fire and form he does. *I had heard it was going to rain all day Monday so I rushed off to set up camp at Elkmont with that in mind Sunday night. I managed to get 3 rainbows and a brook, right in front of my site just before dark. I fished all day Monday waiting for the rain that never came and had a great day. I think the crowds were definitely gone. * I started above Metcalf bottoms and took two browns, one was about 12' and the other was a newborn. I moved down to below the Sinks and had a great time. I even caught several nice rainbows on a pink weenie, only because I lost all of my greenies on fish or rocks. I sighted a fish that had to go 20", but couldn't get him to take. After my afternoon coffee break, thanks to the greatest invention - the jetboil - I headed up to Tremont where dries were the ticket. Right before dark I heard on the radio a storm was coming, so I headed back to camp. It rained solid from 8:00 Monday night until 7:00 Tuesday morning. I was trying out a new camping set up, a Hennessy Hammock, and I must say, I slept both nights as soundly as I can remember, and woke up with no sore back pains. I did have to get used to the sound of my tarp relieving iteself next to my head every few minutes, but for the amount of rain we got, I stayed dry and cozy. I packed up Tuesday morning, and headed home, stopping at the two afore mentioned spots, and taking a few more fish on the pink weenie, before saying adios to the GSMNP. I was trying to convince myself and my son that you could get two good days fishing in and still be back home in time for work/school leaving on a Friday afternoon (early). Making the trip on a non-weekend probably spoiled me a little with regards to the crowds, but I think the realization that there are fish in so many places in the park, most of which I never thought, like in the middle of the Elkmont campground, we will be able to find some solitude. The 8 hour roundtrip was definitely worthwhile. Thanks to LRO for giving me an excuse. Next time I won't need one.

justfishing
<'))))><