View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 07:12 AM

Default Re: woooohhoooo!!!! Clinch comes thru

For that section behind the jail, try a brown back, tan abdomen caddis pupa pattern tied on a size-16 scud hook. My best pattern for that area is one I tie using micro-size stretch tubing over the abdomen. Dark brown goose biot tips for the wing pads, 2 wood duck fibers for antenna, and 6 to 8 well marked, brown partridge fibers tied underneath for legs. Finish the head with a wisp of brown rabbit dubbing.

Use a 10 foot leader tapered down to 4X, then add 4 feet of 6X using your favorite tippet knot. I prefer an Orvis knot.

Position yourself upstream of a flow and cast all the way across and downstream. You want the leader to turn over, but the tippet falls in a pile, or a series of S curves. Follow the flyline downstream with the rod tip at your face level. It will be a large curve.

The fly is slowly sinking in the eddy, or quiet water beyond the flow. Once the flyline, then the leader straightens out, the fly will start to move. It will also start to rise. The trout usually respond vigorously since they think the fly is escaping.

Usually, the hit is like a smutting rise producing a dimple at the water's surface. The dimple is a small bulge caused by the porpoising of the trout as it takes the fly just under the surface. Most of the hits feel soft because you have a bit of slack in the line. When you feel the hit, or see the dimple, simply raise your rod tip gently.

Most of the time, the trout will hook themselves in the corner of the mouth. That happens because of the water pressure on the flyline and leader.

I've seen tan caddis on the river mostly in Oct and Nov. By Nov, they are often females ovipositing. At that time, a soft-hackled wet fly is effective. One tied with a tan hare's mask body and fine gold wire.

The caddis pupa works well, especially in the downstream areas, because the trout recognize it and respond well. I often do better with it than a midge pattern. I catch more fish and some tend to be larger... in the 17 to 18 inch range.

Good luck and happy fishing.