View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Trout reading favorites

justfishing,
I recently read The Longest Silence. *I also felt it was over my head a little. *It's definitely a good book, and I enjoyed much of it. *But I guess I'm more of a Gierach kind of guy. *I have read maybe five or six of his books: Trout Bum, Standing in a River Waving a Stick, At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman, and another one or two that I can't remember the names of right now. *His Fly Fishing Small Streams and Good Flies are also good books. *I adopted several patterns from Good Flies, probably because I like Gierach's writing rather than the flies being more effective. *I'm ashamed to say that I only recently read A River Runs Through It. *I had seen the movie and liked it, but had put off reading the book. *It's a great book.

I had nearly purchased Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis several times, but always placed it back on the shelf. *I'll give it a read now. *Thanks for the suggestions.

Although they aren't works of literature, Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry and No Hatch to Match by Rich Osthoff were enjoyable reads. *Osthoff writes in a no-nonsense manner that keeps me interested. *It's rare that someone writes a book on locations or techniques that makes for a good read.

Take care,
hawgdaddy