Thread: Soho 11-05-2006
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Soho 11-05-2006

Brett, there are some other factors that play into this whole scenario of getting an ideal tailwater. Flood control is the biggest and it goes all the way back to the building of the TVA DAMS. Heavy generation is not just something that takes place because of power needs. A policy set in place many years ago by TVA stated that the required levels for flood control on many of the larger dams would require emptying the reservoirs to a winter level and this usually starts in July or August. There is also the spilling of water during wet periods. To accomplish this, TVA really turns a lot of water thru the dam for extended periods to attain these predetermined levels. This is where the heavy damage comes in that causes the scouring of the rivers downstream. The area that we would like to see some changes in, is to simply slow down the drawdowns of the lakes in the late summer to a slower pace and I feel that just accomplishing this one feat would make a world of difference in all the area tailwaters. It is also an area that we have not made any headway with TVA at all. They have their reasons and we have ours. You can see who prevails
Anyway, I hope this has answered some of your questions and I hope that it gives you some thoughts upon which you can work toward in the future. I hope to see you on the stream some day.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.