Thread: Soho 11-05-2006
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Soho 11-05-2006

mstone, Do a search on D. Geminata (or didymo) on google. We first started noticing didymo on the South Holston in 2004, about the same time they noticed the stuff in New Zealand. There are several theories out but no one seems to know the real story, yet. It is a natural occuring algae in high elevation streams according to some info I've read. I first started noticing it on the Clinch in the spring of 2005. It's effecting the Watauga as well. The biggest concern with this stuff seems to be that it takes over, snuffing out native aquatic plants and algaes. Thus, taking away food for aquatic insects. I didn't get the chance to fish the true sulfur hatch on the South Holton this year but from what I've been told, it was down. It could most definitely be a result of the didymo. Too early to tell, really. But, the Kiwi's are taking it very serious and are combating the problem with a copper substance. They plan to treat a tributary to an infected river very soon.

PA, I personally don't recommend floating the SH in a canoe unless you have someone to help you row. And then, both people should be very good boaters. There are two rapids that can swamp, or roll, a canoe. One is directly below Hickory Tree bridge and the other is between Hickory Tree and Big Springs road. Also, to effectively fish the sulfur hatch you need to be able to anchor your boat. The thickest hatches are on the upper river above HT bridge. If you can't anchor you'll float through it too fast.