View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

IJ,
I guess you read how we fished in the rain Sunday! Lets see, from the bridge where you crossed into the back country; Big Snowbird Creek it is 6 miles to the end of the gravel. The road is not too bad for a car. From there you will hike ~ 4 miles to the first waterfall, from there on you will be in the brookie water. It is pretty up there, can't say that I have done very well up there, but I may not have walked far enough. I would plan on a 5 mile hike to get to better water (less pressured). You're not likely to see too many people up there. If you're ever going to make it and want a partner, let me know. I don't get up there enough myself! It is the biggest brook trout water I know of, even way up there.
There is a rumour locally that it was damaged by the construction of the Cherohala Skyway. The word is that a big seam of Anakista (sp?) shale was exposed which raised the acidity of the creek. Don't know whether that is acutally true. Probably more than you wanted to know. I have seen some good brookies up there never caught one over 8", but as I said I dont get there very often. Just too far to go by myself. I used to not worry about it, but came upon a rattler one day, had it bitten me 7 miles from the car and no one around, I would have been in a world of hurt.
Anyway best to you, any other questions; fire away!