View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Tried Out the New Rig

A few weeks ago, I ordered a 9wt TFO from LRO, along with an Orvis Mid-Arbor reel, some 9wt line, and some saltwater flies. This is all a bit new to me; while I have been fishing down here for years, I've never tried with the fly. In the last 20 years or so, going after the redfish with the long rods has really taken off; a number of guides specialize in such trips. Anyway, with my appetite whetted by the wonderful trout fishing in the Smokies, I decided to really concentrate on getting the "cajun slam" on a fly - speckled trout, redfish, and flounder, hopefully all on the same day. The reel and the flies came yesterday, and the rod followed today.

I ordered some takeout from our favorite Chinese place down in Mandeville; on the way, I decided to baptize the new outfit with a few casts off the Mandeville seawall into Lake Ponchartrain. The water was still a bit cloudy - the south wind was piling up on the shore, and that area isn't really ideal for topwater action. I wasn't counting on catching anything - just wanted to try things out. Here are some pics:

The new outfit

And here's where I was casting

No fish, but once I get a few minor repairs done on the boat, I'll have plenty to post over the summer.