View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Good Question

Earlier this summer I tried to find more info about all of the backcountry campsites. The hiking trails of the Smokies book, makes only brief mention of campsites encountered along each trail, but being overly analytical, I decided I wanted to know more about each one, and more importantly each "Fish Camp".

From looking at maps it appears that there are 46 backcountry campsites that are more or less located on a stream and could allow for fishing (14 in TN and 32 in NC). A few of them may have sketchy fishing conditions. I decide that I wanted to try a visit all of them and see which ones are worth staying at. Of course this will take some time, but it should be good exercise for an older guy...

I've visited a few and already crossed #15 off the list since Rabbit Creek, at that campsite doesn't appear to have any trout in it...that of course will be the most important factor of each camp. Does anyone know if #2, #11 or #12 have any fish worth chasing after?

As far as the question of which is best, I guess I'm still too early in the search and so far my favorite site, isn't even a place you can fish at. Its #20 on Meigs Mtn Trail. It was a 2.3 mile hike in with just enough of a gradient in the middle to get your heart pumping and the campsite was nice and flat, in a nice grove of trees and not a soul in sight. If I had to pick from the list above, right now, I'd go with #23.