View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Meat hunters on the Clinch???!!!

John,
Tell me it isn't so. There are people on the Clinch who do not follow the regs. I have seen this behavior as well while there. I actually saw one man cleaning his limit of fish just to take them to his car and return to the river to catch another limit. He said that he was catching the limit that his buddy should have caught had he been there that day.

Some people just don't get it. It is not a bait/spin vs. flyfish dilemma, it is a decline in water quality problem. Keeping trout for personal consumption is not a problem, I keep a couple of fish every few trips for my wife and myself. What these land owners don't understand is that they have access to very lightly pressured water where it is easier to catch your limit of quality fish. The average fisherman though is limited to fishing in the highly pressured public access areas. As embarrasing as it is to say the largest fish I caught on the Clinch in the past 3 years was about a 9" bow.

I keep records of all my fishing trips just for personal use, and I had back to back trips in 1995 to the Clinch where we caught 38 and 51 fish respectively. The 38 fish day actually came while inside the quality trout zone after gaining access to a piece of private property. And just for the record the other day was just below the weir dam. Each trip lasted 3 and 4 hours and the sizes ranged from 7" to 18", so they were not all dinks like what I have seen lately.

LUCRO, give the slot limit a chance. All it can do is improve the quality of fish you are also catching. I don't see how people can complain about that. Honestly, how many fish do you need to have in your freezer at one time. I would much rather eat trout that is fresh over one that has been kept in my freezer for 3 months.

Regards,
Travis